Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fog lights MOT

On 23/01/2020 13:32, Marland wrote:
Brian Reay wrote:
On 23/01/2020 12:04, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Is it OK for rear fog lights to go off when the ignition is turned off?....

Yes.

They should only be used on certain types of road (plus other
conditions), not for example in towns etc. Therefore you don't need them
when the engine is off!

I dont if it has been made a regulation but it does seem the normal
arrangement on more modern vehicles. It has certainly cut down on the
number of cars seen with a rear fog lamp still on some time after
conditions needed them.
It wasnt unusual to see a car being driven weeks or even months after the
last time the lamp was needed ,now on a more up to date vehicle the effect
of such forgetfulness* will only last till next time the vehicle is shut
down.
* or unawareness and ignorance of the extra warning light showing
somewhere on the dashboard for weeks.

I think the longest I went with one on was for about two miles on a Ford
Escort where the light was put somewhere as an afterthought as it was
designed in originally on that model a MK2 I think it was.

It had been turned on by the MOT tester and not turned off, subsequently I
always checked and found the same after a couple of MOT tests. It was
almost as if they did that as some sort deliberate party trick.

I had a Mk2 Sierra and I too found myself driving to work with the rear
fog lights on the day after an MOT. The switch had an LED in it, but was
cunningly designed to be totally hidden when in a normal driving
position. I only spotted it as I caught a slight glimmer of a reflection
in the glass of the window.

SteveW