Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum_on_google[_2_] polygonum_on_google[_2_] is offline

Default Fog lights MOT

On Thursday, 23 January 2020 21:22:58 UTC, NY wrote:
"polygonum_on_google" wrote in message
On Thursday, 23 January 2020 12:04:20 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Is it OK for rear fog lights to go off when the ignition is turned
off?....

Anyone ever fully understood why we only have one high intensity rear fog
lamp?

This has always puzzled me. Tail lights are at the extremities of your
vehicle so as to define its width to a vehicle that is approaching from
behind so it can judge how far away it is from you. In fog, tail lights
cannot be seen from very far away, so rear fog lights serve the same
purpose. So there need to be two of them, co-located with the tail lights.

But no, most cars only have one, on the offside. On my previous (older)
cars, there was a bulb holder and red housing on the nearside, wired in. All
it needed was to put a bulb in there and I had two foglights. But my present
car only has a red housing on the offside (for a fog light) and only has a
white housing on the nearside (for a reversing light). It's not just a case
of fitting missing bulbs to give two foglights and two reversing lights.

When I'm reversing into a narrow opening between two gateposts, it is very
useful to have reversing lights on *both* sides, so they light up *both*
gateposts. In the absence of two reversing lights, I usually put on my rear
foglight as a (red) reversing light to light the offside.

Completely agreed.

Two reversing lights should be standard.

Also, when switching to LHD countries, the HIRF is on the wrong side.

Sometimes, even if there are two sockets for HIRF, actually fitting a second one will trigger the light failure/checking - it will see too much current and report as a fault.