Posted to uk.d-i-y
mm0fmf[_2_] mm0fmf[_2_] is offline

Default Fog lights MOT

On 23/01/2020 15:21, NY wrote:

I've not come across any cars which reset the state of the foglights
when the engine is switched off.

On my eighth car since 1991, all of them switch off rear (and front)
fogs when the ignition is switched off. Last car that had a toggle
(latching switch) was an 1984 Open Manta GT/E.

Current and previous car have automatic headlights and pressing the
front or rear fogs will cause the headlights to come one if they are
off. I haven't tried with the headlights in manual to see how the fogs
work. No point have automatic headlights if you don't use them.

Current car has lights in the instrument cluster for fogs. Previous had
lights in the switches. But when the steering wheel was in the best
position for me, the fog switches and light switches were obscured. You
couldn't see if the fogs were on without moving about to see past the
wheel. They switched off anyway so poor attention meant they weren't on
for days.

My pickup has a mechanical interlock on rear fogs. You need headlamps on
for rear fog and switching off headlamps also switches off fogs. Leaving
the lights on and removing the key starts the bongs and beeps of doom.