Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Neighbor having ISP speed problems.

On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 12:02:50 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I've often wondered why techs hardly ever use crimp tools
for F connectors when they're finished hooking up coax.
Then, everything is well shielded from the outside stuff.
Unless they lost one and don't want to buy a new
compression tool.

Y're mixing up crimp and compression connectors. This is a crimp
connector, which should be avoided:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0775/8455/products/200-010_1024x1024.jpg
If you see one of these, cut off the crimp connector and replace it
with a compression connector.

These are various Belden/T&B compression connectors. The video
explains how it works:
"Belden SNS1P6U Ultimate F-Type Snap & Seal - RG6 Universal"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW3L61ydvzM (1:41)
Unless I run into something really strange, I use the "red"
compression connectors, which fit most of the common stuff. Notice in
the video how the metal connector and the plastic sleeve are
compressed with the tool to grip the coax. That's what holds the
connector together so that no crimp ring is required.

The strength of a compression connector is good enough to survive
someone tripping over the cable and possibly survive a 2 year old with
a bad case of "grabby paws". Unfortunately, it's also stronger than
whatever holds the F-connector in place inside the set top box, modem,
DVR, TV, etc. The result is instead of the connector sacrificing
itself so that the set top box will survive, the F-connector
receptacle breaks from its mounting inside the tuner can. I carry a
few of these push-on adapters, which I install in locations where I'm
sure the resident big foot is going to trip over the cable.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/SiYAAOSwZVlXsvES/s-l300.jpg

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558