Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Boing boing boing into the ground.

On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 07:20:19 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Thursday, January 23, 2020 at 2:51:24 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 18:56:03 -0800, Bob F wrote:

On 1/22/2020 9:10 AM, Guilaumme Faury wrote:
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/22/trum...sis-grows.html

At one time, Boeing knew how to build airplanes.

When engineers ran the company - before the bean counters took over.
Capitalism at it's best today.

There is nothing wrong with the plane, they have a software problem.

That's a good one two. And it's not really a software problem, it's
a DESIGN problem. The programmers didn't make a mistake, the program
does what they were told to make it do. If you bought a TV that didn't
work, that you could not use because of a "software problem",
would you say there was nothing wrong with the TV?

It isn't the bean counters, it is those kids in sneakers who are
writing the bugware.

Totally wrong. There is ZERO evidence that I have seen, that this was
a problem created by the programmers. The program did what it was
designed to do.

So I guess you have the specs the programmers were working with.
Please give us a link so we can all see.

Some programmer decided when MCAS was supposed to be operating how it
was monitored. My bet, they just gave them broad parameters of what
sensors were available and what actuators they had to use. They also
decided to only use one AOA sensor when two were available and not to
alert the pilot when they did not agree.
The latter actually being the fatal flaw. My guess is the programmers
don't know **** about airplanes, they just write video game type
software and do not take into account dealing with hardware failures.

As for my TV. If the Netflix function takes a **** and everything else
works fine, I would blame the software, not the hardware. Maybe I just
have more experience in this arena tho.

BTW a number of pilots have said if you know how to turn off the MCAS
(put in a little flap), you just land the plane and everyone makes
their connection.

Not any responsible pilots that understand the problem. The pilots in
the Ethiopian crash did exactly that. The co-pilots last words were
that he could not trim the plane manually. Also, "put in a little flap"
was NOT the procedure that Boeing told pilots to use to recover. And
that was AFTER the first crash, after they had more than a week to think
about it. And it surely was not the programmers that issued that
directive either.

The pilot told the co-pilot to stfu too. He was too arrogant to save
his own life.
Maybe if the co-pilot was more than a recently graduated student the
pilot would have paid more attention to him.