Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default Fog lights MOT

"Marland" wrote in message
They should only be used on certain types of road (plus other
conditions), not for example in towns etc. Therefore you don't need them
when the engine is off!

I dont if it has been made a regulation but it does seem the normal
arrangement on more modern vehicles. It has certainly cut down on the
number of cars seen with a rear fog lamp still on some time after
conditions needed them.
It wasnt unusual to see a car being driven weeks or even months after the
last time the lamp was needed ,now on a more up to date vehicle the
effect
of such forgetfulness* will only last till next time the vehicle is shut
down.
* or unawareness and ignorance of the extra warning light showing
somewhere on the dashboard for weeks.

I've not come across any cars which reset the state of the foglights when
the engine is switched off.

I have come across cars which reset it when the side light switch is turned
off - sometimes as a mechanical interlock in the switch - which achieves the
same purpose: that it is impossible for the foglights to come on (without
deliberate human action) next time the lights are turned on.

I think I'd spot the foglight reminder lamp when I did my "cockpit drill"
every time I start the car - scan the dashboard for unexpected lights, check
for fuel level, check that oil and ignition lights *do* come on when the
ignition switch is turned on and go out when the engine is running, etc. But
I'm probably unusual in doing that quick check - and the old waggle of the
gear lever before starting, to prove to myself that it's in neutral, which
saves the car lurching forwards if I've left it in gear.

But I know what you mean about lights in inaccessible places. The worst was
on my mum's old Renault 14 where the temperature gauge and warning light
were on the centre console in front of the gear lever - not the sort of
place that you routinely scan with your eyes while driving. My sister
knackered the engine when a radiator hose blew and the temperature went
sky-high... but she didn't see the gauge/light. Mum was not pleased, but she
agreed that it was a very understandable thing to miss.