Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Joining 1.0, 1.5 and 2.5mm^2 cables

In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
I've seen lots and lots of problems with pre-insulated terminals DIY
fitted on cars.

Are you using a decent crimp tool ie not one of the simple ones which
are just two bits of flat metal with notchs?

I'd not dream of using pre-insulated crimps on a car. I use the correct
ones and have the correct crimp tool.

I wouldn't say I've never had problems with a crimp joint made with a
proper crimp tool but certainly they are few and far between. The
number plate lamps on our motorhome were intermittent and I noticed them
on a trip so returning to the dealer was really practical. I nipped up
one of the crimps (lated replaced- I don't carry a crimp tool so a nip
had to do for the time being) which cured it but that is the only one I
recall in years.

It's well worth carefully cutting off the insulation from a pre-insulated
type and seeing the actual crimp. A decent crimp uses a heart shaped die
which makes the crimp grip the conductor all round. The pre-insulated type
merely flattens it. Which might be OK on solid core mains cable, but not
ideal with multi-strand. Of course it will work OK when new, but some
years down the line?

Conversely, Scotch-loks are the invention of the devil and I only use
then for quick lash ups etc to try things.

--
*Go the extra mile. It makes your boss look like an incompetent slacker *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.