Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay[_6_] Brian Reay[_6_] is offline

Default Joining 1.0, 1.5 and 2.5mm^2 cables

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
In article , Fredxx
scribeth thus
In the good old days I would have used junction boxes but now these have
to be 'accessible' I ought to use an alternative.

I have tried crimps in the past and been thoroughly disillusioned with
them. I have found them unreliable and easily pulled apart, even with
ratchet crimping pliers.

Is there an alternative convenient and affordable method recommended
where access is not required.

Your doing something wrong, used thousands over the years not one has
been a problem.

However you do need decent ratchet crimpers, the pliers type ones are
useless!..

I've seen lots and lots of problems with pre-insulated terminals DIY
fitted on cars.

Are you using a decent crimp tool ie not one of the simple ones which
are just two bits of flat metal with notchs?

I wouldn't say I've never had problems with a crimp joint made with a
proper crimp tool but certainly they are few and far between. The
number plate lamps on our motorhome were intermittent and I noticed them
on a trip so returning to the dealer was really practical. I nipped up
one of the crimps (lated replaced- I don't carry a crimp tool so a nip
had to do for the time being) which cured it but that is the only one I
recall in years.

Conversely, Scotch-loks are the invention of the devil and I only use
then for quick lash ups etc to try things.