Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Repairing curbside plastic garbage cans

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 22 Jan 2020 08:46:23 -0500,
wrote:

On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 03:39:01 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 12:45:28 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi,
I have one of those very large (96 gallon) plastic garbage bins with wheels. It has developed a vertical crack down the front. I've seen several videos on plastic garbage bin repairs, for example:
1. using heat gun to embed metal screen across the crack and into the plastic
2. using soldering gun to melt two sides back together and then add more plastic from a compatible source, usually a zip tie.
3. using a plastic welding gun (requires specialized equipment for the minor amount I need to do)
4. sanding the plastic, overlaying fiberglass mesh, and spackling over the whole thing with 2part epoxy.
Anyone have luck with these or other solutions?
Advice appreciated.
Thank you.
Theodore.

Do you own it or does your garbage hauler own it?
If the latter, call them up and ask for a replacement.
Cindy Hamilton

Yep.
In my district - it appears to belong to the hauler :

Even if it does belong to the hauler, it's in society's interest to
repair it. Why throw away 5 pounds of plastic to fill landfill and
never degrade if you can delay that. If the repair won't take too
much time or money, I'd repair it. You can replace it in a few years
when the repair failes.

https://www.bra.org/resources/supplies/

John T.