Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Repairing curbside plastic garbage cans

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 21 Jan 2020 21:45:24 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Hi,
I have one of those very large (96 gallon) plastic garbage bins with wheels. It has developed a vertical crack down the front. I've seen several videos on plastic garbage bin repairs, for example:
1. using heat gun to embed metal screen across the crack and into the plastic
2. using soldering gun to melt two sides back together and then add more plastic from a compatible source, usually a zip tie.

take forever and if it can be done at all, needs experience to do it
righth

3. using a plastic welding gun (requires specialized equipment for the minor amount I need to do)
4. sanding the plastic, overlaying fiberglass mesh, and spackling over the whole thing with 2part epoxy.

All 4 ideas seem way to difficult and some don't seem likely to work.

Anyone have luck with these or other solutions?
Advice appreciated.
Thank you.
Theodore.

I would get some of that waterproof tape they run commericals for, with
the boat they cut down the middle and then repair. Wisty-seal?? I
think it's pretty strong.

If not that, then use Gorilla Tape. One of my plastic garbage cans will
be 36 years old in May. I never drag it along the ground so the bottom
lasts. But yours has wheels.

I had a second can that did wear out, I think becasue someone would let
it slam on the ground when partly full, and the replacement is at least
24 years olds.

Recently, one of the lids got a leak and sometimes in the summer I
applied overlapping layers of Gorilla tape to the outside. I woudl have
just used one but the first one didn't come out right, so 2 is better.
I would have put tape inside but didnt' t hink I needed it for this
purpose. In your case, I'd put a layer inside too, if I can get the
inside reasonably clean. A little dirt won't matter but slime will keep
the tape from sticking. It's rained, it's been hot, and so far it
looks like new.

Neither of these repairs will take more than a couple minutes.

Interestingly, Gorilla Tape in the size roll I got was cheaper at HDepot
than Wal-mart, who would have you believe they are always cheap.