Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default repair small black and decker bench drill press

I don't use it much, every once in a while it's handy.

It use to be erratic about starting and now it mostly won't.

Symptoms: it runs only at the medium speed, and starts only after tapping on the case gently with a rubber hammer. When running changing the speed control kills it immediately.

A couple years back I thought I'd clean and lube it, but couldn't easily get it apart, and stuck it in the healing pile. But recently I read that worn brushes stick, and the hammer tap frees them. I tried that and it seems to work.

So are brushes available, and is disassembly worth the effort? It doesn't look easy. These weren't designed for maintenance, I think they are intended as consumables.