Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repairing curbside plastic garbage cans

On Tue, 21 Jan 2020 21:45:24 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Hi,
I have one of those very large (96 gallon) plastic garbage bins with wheels. It has developed a vertical crack down the front. I've seen several videos on plastic garbage bin repairs, for example:
1. using heat gun to embed metal screen across the crack and into the plastic
2. using soldering gun to melt two sides back together and then add more plastic from a compatible source, usually a zip tie.
3. using a plastic welding gun (requires specialized equipment for the minor amount I need to do)
4. sanding the plastic, overlaying fiberglass mesh, and spackling over the whole thing with 2part epoxy.

Anyone have luck with these or other solutions?
Advice appreciated.
Thank you.
Theodore.

I fixed the carbon fiber radiator top with epoxy and window screen and
it lasted years. It was still that way when I sold the car.
The trick is surface prep, really clean, scuffed up pretty good, and
heated up with lacquer thinner.
Then work the epoxy into the surface well, embed the screen, getting
it as flat as possible, add more epoxy and repeat. Do it face up so
epoxy completely fills the void. Make the patch plenty wide so you get
a lot of surface involved (4" or so from the crack anyway). It will
probably hold up until the truck grabs it crooked again or the guys
bang the patch hard on the lip of the hopper.

Or just buy a new can.