*CBHVAC*

Default Air Cond odor

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
*CBHVAC* writes:

I have a cleaner that is used on coils, that isnt sold to unlicenced
persons, and will eat right into a coil after about 5 minutes if its
used wrong..used right, it looks like the coils about to catch
fire...its steam of course,

No doubt. I'm sure the customer stands in slack-jawed wonder at this
professional procedure. Do you carry photos of dust mites to sell duct
cleaning, too?

Richard..if you had paid attention over the years, you would know that every
time that someone asks about duct cleaning, I do not advocate it.
99% of the time, its a scam.
Also, if you knew more about the systems, in various OTHER parts of the
country, and not just yours, you would realize that some coils cant be
cleaned, but have to be replaced.
Also, you would know that depending on the coil condition, if its not a
foaming acid type, you will do nothing but push the crap into the coil, not
removing it, making the situation worse.

But, you have seen and be taught this right?

Normally, the customer is actually pretty damn happy when the system gets
back to working right.

but sir, you are dead wrong.

Read the OP, about some consumer stuff sold at Home Depot. Not the
Licensed Person brand cleaner.

That crap they sell as coil cleaner at Home Depot isnt even close.
PT Barnum had a saying....and HD is riding it to the bank...
We use one..its a canned spray, and unless you know what you are up against,
I have pulled more than one newbie trainee outside to wake back up..that
stuff at HD...lol..ok..its water compared to it.

But I am not aware of any cleaning chemicals that require any license,
much less an HVAC (restraint-of-)trade license, so please cite one by
its IUPAC name or CAS number. And be sure to tell us what governmental
authority is enforcing non-sales of this chemical to us unlicensed
folk, like the DoJ and lysergic acid.

The STate of NC. Simple enough. You walk into a supply house here, and ask
for the pretty pink cleaner...or the stuff that looks like cat ****, and
before they sell it to you, if they dont know you, they want to see your
state licence...its that simple. The states own law, that states that non
licenced persons can not work, repair, or sell HVAC products of any sort is
enough. The ONLY thing that the state allows a non licenced person to do,
and we, as licenced contractors are working to change that, is MINOR repairs
on non refrigerant type heating systems, that do not use a boiler, or
refrigerant to heat the home.

They might sell you the green spray and walk away stuff...thats good on a
fairly new system....since its not going to munch right into the copper...

I suspect you confuse marketing with chemistry, like the "professional"
shampoos that are only sold to "licensed cosmetologists".

Not really....as I actually work in the trade...

I repeat, butyl cleaner and agitation are all you ordinarily need to
clean an evaporator coil.

Agitation...thats good...you mean like a foam that lifts and pushes the crap
up and out, or do you suggest a magic brush that can get into the really
deep coils...some of these are over 3 inches thick...with 12 to 16 rows of
fins per inch...

I was not trying actually to fight with you, but was trying to let you know
that you are wrong, and while you can consider yourself correct, the facts
are that what you are saying, is wrong.