Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Other Mike[_3_] The Other Mike[_3_] is offline

Default Oh look. No solar , sod all wind

On Mon, 20 Jan 2020 22:14:41 +0000 (UTC), Brian Reay wrote:

polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Monday, 20 January 2020 10:04:19 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
and 3.5GW of coal onstream with nukes and CCGT practically flat out

And no imports either...

https://gridwatch.org.uk

That which was to be illustrated:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/txcjml4toi...Power.jpg?dl=0

Five 400 MW gas turbines apparently flat out (at right).

Three wind turbines apparently totally still (at left).

They get paid to keep the wind turbines idle. It is making the companies a
fortune which we are paying.

No they don't get paid anything to keep them idle, they do not receive capacity
market payments and, at least the moment, being undispatchable they are
specifically excluded from the capacity market.

What they do get paid for is when their generation is constrained by
transmission system limitations, when I say 'their generation' I mean what they
'declare' they could have generated, which in many cases severely warps the
actual reality of their performance at all other times under similar weather
conditions when they are not constrained.