Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Lowes blows

On Mon, 20 Jan 2020 19:37:44 -0500, wrote:

For the walls below the windows, he used logs, not lengthwise like in
most log cabins and houses but so the ends showed inside and out. That
was his big mistake. The logs had dried for weeks, months, or a year or
two, not sure, but they continued to dry after they were in place, and
shrink, so there were holes almost an inch big that the air would blow
through. He chinked it with cement, that didn't look sot good.

Cordwood construction is a thing -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordwood_construction
I'd question using it - for load-bearing-structure -
under big expensive windows in a big expensive home.
John T.

At the bottom of the post I pointed out the windows had not sagged.
Must have had some 2x4's holding them up.
But the url you gave says they expand and shrink even if aged.
I wonder how that works.

Unless both cut ends are fully sealed they absorb and release
moisture. Even log houses expand and shrink with the seasons -
just like your hardwood floors.

Years ago, talking to my old neighbour - who had a beautiful
log home built - I remember him saying that there were
some sort of "jack screw" devices built into the structure -
to adjust for the long-term settling as the big logs dry out.
not sure about seasonal expansion/contraction ?
They also used some special framing on top of windows & doors.
It all seems like a lot of bother - but it's a really great looking
home - and the present owners seem happy there.
Recent technologies might have reduced the troublesome stuff -
this log home is 30 + years old.

As for Micky's original post - re : the decorative cordwood -
.. it might be a nice touch - if the cordwood is properly dried
and treated for bugs, and sealed ..
.. and I hope they used something stronger than 2 x 4
for window framing ..
John T.

"stackwall" is generally used as "infill" in post anf beam
construction, where it is not, strictly speaking, structural.