Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Joining 1.0, 1.5 and 2.5mm^2 cables

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Well, I wired this house some 40 odd years ago. Not has a problem with any
terminal working loose. Perhaps because I tightened them correctly in the
first place? I have worked on other installations where this wasn't so,
though. And wondered if it was an electrician making work for the future?

Much depends on the circuit IME... Lighting circuits never run anywhere
close to the full rated capacity of the cable, and there is very little
thermal expansion and contraction, and no heating effect other than at
the terminals other than those on the lamp fittings themselves.

Circuits that cycle up to close to maximum load seem more susceptible to
problems. Other factors like how well cables are supported and even the
length of individual runs of cable can play a part.

True. Probably why I don't have any JBs etc in high current circuits.

But do you have problems with the screw connections in your CU? Riser?
Meter?

I have met a number of Wylex style rewireable fuse CUs where the
terminals were no longer "tight" - even if there were no obvious signs
of overheating as such.

--
Cheers,

John.