Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default U channel and squire tube which one is strong

"Richard Smith" wrote in message
Jahan writes:

8 cm wide by 3 cm U Channel and 3 x 3 inch x 2 mm tube

You'll be wanting to study Second Moment of Area and the beam and
column calculations / equations.
The Euler column and the Euler-Bernoulli beam (both derived around
the
1750's - about 250 years ago) which serve well for most applications
of beams and columns.

Regards,
Rich Smith

When I built a log splitter, sawmill and a hydraulic bucket loader for
my tractor I welded every joint that wouldn't have to be taken apart
to store or modify them. However structural steel design manuals say
to avoid field welding whenever possible, due to high cost. They are
more neutral about shop welding versus bolting. Why would field
welding be prohibitably expensive? Heavy construction equipment is
almost entirely welded.