Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pancho Pancho is offline

Default Hydrogen engines

On 17/01/2020 13:41, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 11:19:33 +0000, Pancho
wrote:

On 16/01/2020 20:18, Fredxx wrote:
On 16/01/2020 14:00:49, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6EC...MXl972-smqjpoI

Shame it's so impractical to make hydrogen efficiently unless we build
more nukes.

How do you know wind cannot be used to make hydrogen. Serious question,
not making a point.

I vaguely remember someone claiming that the required number of
windmills would take up too much area in the UK, but I think I have also
seen claims we could produce ten times our requirements from wind.

Does anyone have a reliable source for a discussion of potential UK wind
capacity, + economics.

David MacKay has discussed this objectively here
http://www.withouthotair.com/c4/page_32.shtml and on the following
pages for on-shore wind, and here and on the following pages for
off-shore wind http://www.withouthotair.com/c10/page_60.shtml He goes
into more technical detail here
http://www.withouthotair.com/cB/page_263.shtml but I don't think he
goes into costs, but I may have forgotten that bit.

Thank you, David MacKay was one of the people I was thinking of. I see
the book is free. I should read it.

I very much like MacKay's style, but it is the way I tend to think
myself and so I would really like to see criticism of it.

Preferably I would like to see government plans for zero carbon. Plans
from somewhere like Germany. The fact Germany has decided to turn off
its Nuclear power stations would suggest they have confidence they have
a renewable solution or, alternatively, that they are not going for a
zero carbon solution.