Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default OP-AMP Long-Term Reliability

On Sunday, 19 January 2020 01:23:38 UTC, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jan 2020 15:02:31 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 18 January 2020 21:11:24 UTC, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Gentlemen,

How reliable are the old 'tin-can' encapsulated op-amps from say 40
years ago? I'm talking about the ones that look like large transistors
and have typically 8 leads in the TO5-8 package. I'm unable to provide
a part number as these don't have one as such. Could be a 741 perhaps
but I can't be certain. Are they known to fail?

thanks.

The problem components from that era are lytics of course and glob-top transistors.

OK, I have to know.. "Glob-top"??

http://www.ichom.org/Overig-499982/C...HILD-Glob-Top/

The round top is an epoxy glob covering the die, which sits on the flat thick sheet material that holds the leads. 2 tone ones make this easy to see, all black ones not so much.

NT