Seth Goodman

Default Box/Valve-More

In article ,
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

OK, here's the one which operates on machine current flow:

http://www.accentshopping.com/store/...alve/A2CM1.asp

But, I'm still wondering what happens if a hose finally gives up and
blows from the shock created when one of the machine's solenoid valves
slams shuts at the end of a fill or rinse cycle.

Comments guys?

I see the real purpose of these valves to be protection while you're
away.

Normally, people are home while doing laundry, and would detect the
break in a reasonably short amount of time. You'd have a big puddle to
clean up, but no major damage.

Now, suppose you went away for a two week vacation, and five minutes
after you left, a washer hose burst...

And, just to make things interesting - some friends of mine have one of
those single-handled shutoff valves on their washer - and were very good
about always remembering to keep it closed when not using the washer.

One day they came home to find a flood in their laundry room - the valve
*itself* had failed. The valve looked like this one:
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/images/washvalv.jpg

Note the two large screws at the top of the valve - one of those screws
blew out, causing the flood.

--
Seth Goodman