Posted to alt.home.repair
catalpa catalpa is offline

Default Oil Furnace Reset Button

wrote in message
My oil furnace was running fine and did NOT run out of oil. I did get a new
load of oil in to take me through the winter and within 24 hours the furnace
needed me to hit the reset button. I did and the blower started and although
I did not see the flames I could feel the heat and it ran for maybe 3
minutes and then shut down again.

This is not the first time it has happened. Almost every year I go through
this. The technician comes out and I see him bleed the line and clean the
oil filter (possibly he replaces it) Then he replaces the control that has
the reset button and charges me 300 bucks or so.

I am wondering if possibly I don't need to replace that reset control module
or whatever it is called and just need to clean/replace the oil filter
screen. I do not understand how getting more oil would cause that to need
replaced but I can understand how when they put more ooil in the tank that
it might stir up some dirt and clog the filter/screen.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
Joe

When was the last time you had your oil tank cleaned out ?

"You might think that oil tanks need cleaning out because of some sort of
tar buildup. Actually, it is not the thick pollutants you need to look out
for, but the weak ones. Condensation forms on the inside of tanks, and the
resulting water gets trapped. Water builds up at the bottom of the tank -
remember: Oil floats on water. Oil tank cleaning is necessary to remove this
problem. The result of this water is that a metal tank will corrode from the
inside out.

Tank corrosion is an obvious cause of leaks. The mix of water, rust and oil
will create a sludge in the bottom of the tank. The oxidized metal and water
can also be drawn into the outlet pipe and mixed in with the fuel supply to
your furnace. Oil contamination will damage you furnace and create blockages
in filters and valves, increasing maintenance and repair costs.

For these reason it is important to get your tank cleaned out periodically.
Experts recommend having your oil tank cleaned out at least once every five
years. This is a messy job and involves having the tank pumped out. This is
a task normally given to the oil supplier."

https://blog.smarttouchenergy.com/oil-tank-maintenance