Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pancho Pancho is offline

Default Hydrogen engines

On 17/01/2020 13:24, Andy Burns wrote:
Pancho wrote:

Over capacity of wind generators reduces the periods of under
generation, also the hydrogen stored during periods of over capacity
could be used for alternate power generation in periods of wind under
production.

depends if they produce the H2 centrally, then you have to distribute
it, or have "micro" production e.g. at petrol stations or fleet HQs

https://www.itm-power.com/h2-stations

I think they're building a factory in Sheffield to knock out the
hydroliser/compressors in shipping containers. Obviously you've then got
to beef up the electrical distribution instead of hydrogen tankers.

The idea I was seeing was something like the natural gas distribution
pipe network. Thus production can be central or distributed.

I think beefing up electrical distribution is already a given with a
high proportion wind generation on the grid. You needed it to smooth
local wind variability.

I have no idea of the feasibility of any of this.