SQLit

Default Air Cond odor

"JD" wrote in message
news:fJ_hc.10189$2e6.389@lakeread01...
This spring when I turned on my AC I had a strong "pond "odor coming from
the vents. In the week the AC has been on the odor has weakened but it is
still there. I went under the house and couldn't find any wet or broken
supply or return lines. I have a package unit that is also my gas furnace.
The unit is located outside.
I am thinking that there is a mold growing on the evaporator coils or

lying
in the collection tray that is activated when it got wet. I didn't have

the
odor during the winter when the heat was running. I believe if I spray

the
evap coil and collection tray with a diluted bleach/water solution it will
cure the problem. I know it will smell like bleach for a while but I can
handle that better than "pond".
I'd like to hear what the group thinks about this plan and if there are

any
other ideas out there. Is there something else I could spray on the

coils,
like a Lysol product?
Thanks
JD
Chesapeake, VA

Your real problem is why there is water sticking around to cause the mold.
The bleach will not hurt the coil once or twice. You need to find out why
the pan is ponding and not draining. A cleaning will help the short run not
the long run