Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Cursitor Doom[_4_] Cursitor Doom[_4_] is offline

Default Noise on VCO voltage ramp

On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 21:05:43 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

Sorry for the late reply, but I had to waste the last few days dealing
with the California Dept of Motor Vehicles to renew my drivers license
and obtain a Real-ID endorsement. I passed both but am still
recovering and might need a few more days to calm down.

My sympathies. I've heard about the queues in those places and they
must be pretty bad indeed to make the international news! Is it true
they recruit retired-disabled ex-NYC taxi drivers for their counter
staff?

[snip missing numbers]

Yeah, I know. I'm sorry but you know about as much as I do! If I'd
zoomed out on those shots there's a bezel around the outside of the
screen on that SA which is *supposed* to show all that info.
Unfortunately, it's bust. This is a partly working unit I picked up at
a ham rally and am in the process of re-commissioning. Unfortunately,
my No.1 RF SA (the 8566B) is currently out of action with a recent
"YIG oscillator unlocked" error message, so there's nothing to fall
back on. It's kind of tough to do stuff with all this busted
equipment. Even the equipment I picked up in prime working condition
is letting me down lately.
All I *can* say about those photos is the SA is set on the 0.01-1.8Ghz
display range, I'm sniffing the VNA output with a few turns of wire
rather than a direct connection, the 40dB attenuation is set (and
seems to work!) and the VNA output frequencies in each picture are the
filenames for each of those pictures.
So the situation is "not ideal" but you have to work with what you've
got, I guess.
--

No deal? No problem! :-D