Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) is offline

Default The end of Windows 7

I don't think in most cases there is any need to run 16bit apps now as all
the main offenders long ago made them 32bit.
I guess there might be a few almost dos level things floating about, but by
far the biggest killer of xp was the loss of support for very popular amd
chips, which meant that many bits of software will crash if one of those
processors without the sse2 instruction set are in use.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Dr S Lartius" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 15 January 2020 11:22:34 UTC, John Rumm wrote:

Win 10 is not too much additional overhead compared to Win 7 - so there
is a reasonable chance many machines with 7 will still work with 10.
Much depends on what kind of spec machine it is. You will also need
about 15GB spare drive space to do an in place upgrade. Having said
that, a clean install of the 64bit version might make more sense.

However, users of elderly systems, perhaps updated from even older
systems, may still be using some 16-bit executables; maybe not as major
applications, but possibly as small but essential components.

AIUI, all Windows before Windows 10 can natively run 16-bit executables,
but 64-bit Windows cannot.

I should shortly be updating a neighbour's Windows 7 system to Windows 10,
and currently intend to get 32-bit, if I can see how.

--
(c) Dr. S. Lartius, UK. Gmail: dr.s.lartius@ |