Posted to alt.home.repair
KC JONES KC JONES is offline

Default replaced dryer belt and drum still won't turn

On 1/15/20 9:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 1/15/2020 7:47 PM, KC JONES wrote:
I have a GE Hotpoint dryer nvlr223egoww that stopped turning and, upon
disassembly, I discovered that the belt snapped.Â* I'm having a heck of
a time getting the drum to rotate again.Â* I've tried two different
belts, which are supposed to fit the model, but one was way too large
and the other is actually a bit shorter than the original one and
still there's too much slack.Â* Any ideas as to what to check next
would be welcome. Thanks.

Â* Is the belt looped correctly around the spring loaded tensioner ?
Some appliance parts websites might have the diagram for the correct
routing ...

No it wasn't. I always get confused be the way the belts are put in
place. Once I got the threading right, the only other issue was that
the tensioner was caught on a metal part sticking out from the motor.
Once I disassembled again to release that, all went well. It was not
easy. I really only had access from the top and front. I wish I could
have removed a side, but was unable to. I really had to push with my
arm and hand through the small space and at the same time loop the belt
around the tensioner. However, done. I also looked over the dryer
while there. It looks fairly simple and I'm hoping if anything ever
goes wrong, maybe I'll be able to repair it.