Chris J Dixon

Default Fixing mirror to tiled plasterboard wall

N wrote:

"mike" robowen(no spam)1@(no spam)v21.me.uk wrote in message

"N" wrote in message

Can someone recommend the best method of fixing a fairly heavy mirror to

plasterboard wall that is tiled with ceramic tiles (bathroom wall)?

The back of the mirror has two standard slots to be hung on to medium -
large screws.

If the wall was brick etc. I would just use some heavy duty wallplugs

but
am not sure what to use on this wall. The tiles are 6mm thick, the
plasterboard is 12mm so with tile cement etc it is probably a little

over
20mm thick. On a normal wall I would use screws that were 11/2 x 10 or

maybe
1 3/4 x 10, is there a suitable plug that will allow me to use these?

Best to try and find the battons in the stud wall for a better fix.

If you cant find them, you could use "toggles", I saw some other groupies
talking about them earlier.

this was the referral they gave

The problem i have is that the design of this mirrormeans I can not tighten
it against the wall like you would with say a coat hanger. Unfortunately, it
needs me to leave about 1/2 inch or so of the screw protruding from the wall
to hang it on. All the fixings I have seen require you to fully tighten them
e.g. to compress the toggle etc.

As the mirror is in a chrome frame I can't see how i can fix it with
adhesive, it is this framework that adds to the weight.

Any suggestions?

Is certainly one which can leave a protruding bolt head. I have
used them in a similar wall with much more cantilevered loading
than your mirror would impose.

They need quite a large hole in the tile, and are best at a join,
so there is something for the fixing to grip to stop it turning.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.