Banister Stairwell

Default Air Cond odor

"JD" wrote in message
news:fJ_hc.10189$2e6.389@lakeread01...
This spring when I turned on my AC I had a strong "pond "odor coming from
the vents. In the week the AC has been on the odor has weakened but it is
still there. I went under the house and couldn't find any wet or broken
supply or return lines. I have a package unit that is also my gas furnace.
The unit is located outside.
I am thinking that there is a mold growing on the evaporator coils or

lying
in the collection tray that is activated when it got wet. I didn't have

the
odor during the winter when the heat was running. I believe if I spray

the
evap coil and collection tray with a diluted bleach/water solution it will
cure the problem. I know it will smell like bleach for a while but I can
handle that better than "pond".

There are chemicals specifically formulated for the purpose of cleaning
coils. You can find them at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Unless you have clear access to the coil without having to disturb anything,
you'd be better off calling in a professional to do the job. I believe they
use stronger coil cleaning chemicals, and a professional can actually remove
the coil from the unit (if needed) to do a more thorough cleaning job.