JD

Default Air Cond odor

This spring when I turned on my AC I had a strong "pond "odor coming from
the vents. In the week the AC has been on the odor has weakened but it is
still there. I went under the house and couldn't find any wet or broken
supply or return lines. I have a package unit that is also my gas furnace.
The unit is located outside.
I am thinking that there is a mold growing on the evaporator coils or lying
in the collection tray that is activated when it got wet. I didn't have the
odor during the winter when the heat was running. I believe if I spray the
evap coil and collection tray with a diluted bleach/water solution it will
cure the problem. I know it will smell like bleach for a while but I can
handle that better than "pond".
I'd like to hear what the group thinks about this plan and if there are any
other ideas out there. Is there something else I could spray on the coils,
like a Lysol product?
Thanks
JD
Chesapeake, VA