Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default roundabouts

On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 21:33:12 +0000, Scott wrote:

On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 19:30:32 -0000, "NY" wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 17:33:35 +0000, Another Dave
wrote:

On 13/01/20 12:22, Scott wrote:
* watch out for all other road users already on the roundabout; be
aware they may not be signalling correctly or at all

When did it become the rule not to signal when entering the roundabout
but only when leaving (or not at all)?

The rule round here seems to be not at all. You are then left waiting
to give way to some c**t that is intending to leave the roundabout.

I indicate as I approach if I'm turning left or right (but not if I'm
going straight ahead), and then indicate left as I've just passed the
exit before I want to leave - waiting until my left signal can't be
misinterpreted as being for that previous exit. If I'm turning right, I
leave my right indicator on until I have just passed the straight-on
exit, then change it to left indicator and then move across from lane 2
to lane 1 on the roundabout in preparation for leaving.

If a roundabout only has a right-hand exit (maybe because other roads
for left and straight ahead haven't been built, indicating is probably
superfluous but I still indicate...

This would seem to be a model of rectitude.

There were arguments on a local discussion group about whether one should
indicate right when (if entering at the 6 o'clock position) the intended
exits were at 9, 1 and 3, and one wanted the 1 o'clock one. There is a
roundabout like that here that I use every day.