Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default roundabouts

On 13/01/2020 16:10, Robin wrote:
On 13/01/2020 11:52, fred wrote:
On a fairly open roundabout I can see a car approaching from a road on
the right. Given that I will be on the roundabout first who has the
right of way? Is the rule give way to traffic on the roundabout or
give way to traffic on the right?
I see so many cases where because the driver entering the roundabout
sees there is no traffic on his right he assumes he has right of way.

Nightjar's post gives what I feel is the plain meaning of the words
"give way".

In addition compare the Highway Code's:

"give priority to traffic approaching from your right" with

"watch out for all other road users already on the roundabout".

Evidence that if they meant "give priority to traffic already on the
roundabout on your right" they'd have said so.

Except that with a roundabout, if you enter before someone to your right
enters, the fact that it is a circle means that you are on *his* right,
but additionally are on the roundabout.

I did once train as a driving instructor (never started teaching though
as other work cam along) and we were taught that it means give way to
traffic that is on the roundabout and to your right. Until someone has
crossed the line, everyone has equal priority.

SteveW