Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum_on_google[_2_] polygonum_on_google[_2_] is offline

Default number plates

On Monday, 13 January 2020 16:47:59 UTC, JimK wrote:
Jethro_uk Wrote in message:
On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 16:12:51 +0000, Jimk wrote:

Jethro_uk Wrote in message:
On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 03:39:59 -0800, polygonum_on_google wrote:

On Monday, 13 January 2020 11:02:09 UTC, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

was just reading the requirement for MOT test...no mention of post
code or who made them to be on plates ????

I find that I am disproportionately annoyed by plates with strange
fonts or illegally spaced . Does the MOT check compliance, or do
transgressors simply keep a spare pair?

I agree with you - totally disproportionate. But annoyed I become.

I suspect a spare pair. But the risk of being caught while driving
must be very low as so many people seem to use them. I'd like to think
that anyone stopped for any reason by police would get appropriately
hit if they have such number plates. After all, it is a deliberate
"stuff you" to the law. (Mind, I'd be a bit more forgiving for people
who did not make a decision to transgress - such as stone-chipped
during a journey.)

I think as long as they are legible, there's a certain weary acceptance
on the part of the police.

That said, you'd have thought an automated summons from an ANPR camera
for non-regulation plates would be possible ?

Assuming defeating anpr wasn't the reason the owner obfuscated
their plates in the first place shurely?

ANPR is incredibly robust, and AIUI the number of cases where a read
completely fails is low enough for a manual intervention.

If these characters are fitting their "look at me" plates in a bid to
defeat ANPR - certainly those used in law enforcement - they really are
as dim as you'd imagine.

So what's the beef with the law re number plate typefaces?

I wonder if ANPR can cope with odd type OR dirt - but not AND?