Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) is offline

Default roundabouts

Also if you are chasing around so fast you cannot stop before hitting the
car in front you are either too fast or too close or both!
Cyclists seem to think they have priority too, even over poor pedestrians,
since if they can at a junction they zoom up the crossing and go onto the
footway.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 03:52:12 -0800 (PST), fred
wrote:

On a fairly open roundabout I can see a car approaching from a road on the
right. Given that I will be on the roundabout first who has the right of
way? Is the rule give way to traffic on the roundabout or give way to
traffic on the right?
I see so many cases where because the driver entering the roundabout sees
there is no traffic on his right he assumes he has right of way.

The Highway Code doesn't seem to be clear on this, either. In the
section on Roundabouts, it says "When reaching a roundabout you
should:
Always give priority to the traffic coming from the right, unless
you have been directed otherwise by signs, road markings or traffic
lights"

and so on.
https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/chan...r-roundabouts#

But it doesn't stipulate whether 'the traffic coming from the right'
is actually on the roundabout, about to come onto the roundabout, or
approaching the roundabout and fifty yards away.

I guess you have to use your common sense, much like at any road
junction, along the lines of 'can I safely get out onto the roundabout
before the traffic coming from the right reaches the space I'm about
to occupy'.

--

Chris