Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fuses - again

On Monday, 13 January 2020 11:22:19 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:

It's mainly old stuff, extension leads & many Chinese imports that need
under 13A fusing. Wherever my 1937 set was sold it didn't come with any
fusing or overload protection, and the radial mains wiring sometimes
supplied suitable protection, sometimes didn't. That just how things
were then. It was common knowledge in the 30s that leaving appliances on
unattended caused many fires and was a lousy thing to do.

I hope you're not suggesting the correct fuse will always stop something
catching fire?

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/dementia/diagnosis-tests/

The considerable quantity of iffy Chinese goods, extension leads, and to
a lesser extend old gear makes the advice that a 13A fuse is good for
anything poor advice. But yes, we hear it a lot from people that should
know better.

The best advice would be to junk any extension lead which isn't protected
by a 13 amp fuse. And if old gear isn't protected by its own correct type
of fuse, either junk it or fit one.

Anything else is simply bad practice.

If you were in charge of my electricals you'd be sacked.