Terry

Default Table Saw Fence Problems

"Stephen Williams" wrote in message

"Steve" wrote in message
.. .
Stephen Williams wrote:
I have just purchased a Wickes 1500 table saw (very similar to the
equivalent Draper model) and have used it extensively over the

holidays.
I have mastered right angle and mitre cuts, I have built a

crosscutting
sled
for sheet materials BUT I can't seem to set the fence accurately.

Any ideas how to do it?

There are usually some grubscrews that work against a bolt somwhere near
the handle.

Steve

Thanks Steve

No grub screws just a lever that exerts pressure at both ends of the

fence.
When pushing the lever down the fence tends to move out of position.

Steve

Have similar problem with my bench saw.
Solution seems to be to measure the distance from blade to fence at front
AND back of the blade, then clamp the fence?
Sometimes I've had the blade closer (even by say a mm or two) at back than
front, whereupon the material binds and burns as it travels through the
blade. :-(.
My fence slides on circular rails, at front and rear of the cutting
surface/deck, but the slider is only single bolted at one end i.e. not
rigidly connected to the fence and can move slightly out of square as one
latches/clamps it into position.(have entertained idea of welding it!) looks
like I'll have to redesign it. maybe the slider has to be longer and more
rigidly bolted to the fence.
Cheers.