Bri Gipson

Default Kenmore Refrigerator Water Filter Light Forever Green

Thanks again, Dan O. for your help on this.

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 15:18:41 -0400, "Dan O."
wrote:

Bri Gipson wrote in message ...

I just want to know if anyone out there knows
why the light isn't turning red. According to the
manual, that means the filter is still good.

"When should the Whirlpool 4396510 refrigerator
filter be replaced?

This Whirlpool filter should be replaced:

Every 6 months or
When the filter change indicator light comes on or
If the refrigerator has not been used for more than
two weeks (for instance, during a move) or If you
notice a decrease in the flow of water or
objectionable tastes in the water or ice. "

This is from the Amana web site about their refrigerators:

Some Amana refrigerator models have an internal water filter system.
The filter cartridge requires some care and maintenance with usage. We
recommend replacing the cartridge when the water filter indicator
light on the door dispenser turns red or every 6 months, whichever
comes first.

Note the last statement. I imagine the same advice applies to the
other fridge manufacturers too.

Hmm. I can definately see how the "whichever comes first" rule would
apply, considering that other refrigerators mention the "whichever
comes first". Why wouldn't Sears put that in their manual?

I personally don't expect anyone to grant "free"
service after a warranty period has expired.
However, I have had people offer repair
service on items that were defective and
RECALLED years after the warranty expired.

A "recall" is something entirely different. If not corrected the
manufacturer could be liable even after a warranty has expired.

That was the point I was trying to make. If an over-used filter really
is a health risk, and their manual only indicates that the filter
should be changed when the light turns red, then this defect on their
part is impacting health.

That also brings me to the other question from earlier. What type of
contamination are we talking about here? Are they high doses of
mercury or lead? Both of those metals are cumulative and the filter
only releases what it was once given ... if those elements ever break
through from the charcoal being over-saturated.

we were just fishing for some advice like
"oh, yeah. That light is not reliable."

None that I know of are not an absolute guaranty of the filter needing
to be changed. That is likely why the manual tells you the conditions
when the filter should be replaced, "Every 6 months OR when the filter
change indicator light comes on OR if the refrigerator has not been
used for more than two weeks OR you notice a decrease in the flow of
water OR objectionable tastes in the water or ice."

I take that to mean when ANY of the conditions are present, not all or
even more than one is.

I understand you're saying it's not a pick and choose situation. I'm
saying that other than the "6 to 9" months that the manual states the
light should turn red within during normal use, every indicator shows
that the filter is good. Water is fresh tasting. Flow is good. Ice is
good. Light is on. Haven't left it alone for 2 weeks. It just seems
odd to "fix" something that doesn't seem broken. Yet, it seems fishy
that the light hasn't even turned yellow by now. Especially if it were
on a timer or registering water flow, or both.

What mechanism is used on this model 106.51262102
to determine what color the light should be? Is it through
some arbitrary timer? Through some simple water analysis

I can't even locate what controls the water filter indicator on that
model, it may be part of the 'adaptive defrost control' # 2213476
(current # 2252148). The most diligent mechanisms I'm aware of are
said to monitor just the installed time and amount of water dispensed.
I don't know what formula they base the indicator light change on.

You'll either have to contact Sears or Whirlpool (whom made that
particular model for Sears). If you can find out which part is
responsible you may be able to look up its patent to see exactly how
it determines when to change the colour of the water filter indicator
lights.

You can read a couple of Whirlpool's water filter indicator patent's
abstracts at the following link:

http://tinyurl.com/2c2mj

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Kenmore+fridge

=Ð~~~~~~

Great idea. I'll look through the patents to see what may be helpful.
And thanks again for your input.

-Bri