Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Default Noise on VCO voltage ramp

On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 01:46:08 +0000, Cursitor Doom
wrote:

On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 00:24:38 +0000, Cursitor Doom
wrote:

If you really want to see the noise, glitch, trash, garbage, or
whatever signal, set you scope so that the horizontal trigger is off
and the horizontal sweep is free running. Then, slooooooowly vary the
horizontal sweep until you see fairly stable glitches. If the noise
is periodic, you should be able to see something.

Thanks, Jeff. Duly noted!

Oh, and btw, I know you like details such as this, I'll be using my
Tek 2232 DSO for this measurement. I don't really get on with digital
scopes, but seems like there's little alternative for this job.

Bad idea. The Tek 2232 has both digital and analog storage:
https://www.tek.com/datasheet/2232-digital-and-analog-oscillscope
I suggest you use it as a conventional analog scope for the
untriggered horizontal sweep. If the frequency of the glitch source
is stable, you should be able to "tune" it in by adjusting the
horizontal sweep (with the trigger turned off). That works much
better in analog mode than in digital. Better yet, go back to using
your analog Tek 2465A for looking at the VCO control voltage.

Incidentally, I just noticed that you screwed up in your original
posting. You provided most of the details, a few of the numbers, but
failed to describe the "weird problem with the network analyzer" and
what "spurious spikes in the frequency domain on the RF output" might
be. Is that like a spurious RF signal appearing on the SA swept
display? If so, are you picking up some junk from nearby radio or TV
stations? If you can see it, what's the frequency on the SA? I can
also imagine that your test setup or cabling may be causing these
problems. A probe on the VCO line could easily pickup RF junk from
everywhere.

All this goes back to my three commandments for getting a sane answer
to questions on Usenet:
1. What problem are you trying to solve? Just one or two lines and
leave the details for later.
2. What do you have to work with? What's your level of expertise and
what tools and test equipment do you have available?
3. Where are you stuck and what did you do to get there?

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D