Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Why have we allowed the mains cabling to be used to send signals and crap on?

On Sun, 12 Jan 2020 03:16:08 -0800 (PST), wrote:

It would actually be interesting to find out the percentages of people
who predominantly listen to radio on:

At home, driving I listen to random tracks from my entire music
collection from my phone via bluetooth

FM

If what I want to listen too is on FM, I'd choose FM.

DAB

Not available.

Internet

Occasionally.

Freesat

Never.

Freeview

Only when checking if the local relay has an issue that needs
reporting to Arqiva.

LW, MW and SW.

Occasionally.

I suspect the latter will be in single figures.....

Depends on what you want to listen too. Some networks are effectively
MW only if you want to listen on the move.

My in-laws live in a stone farmhouse where (a) WiFi does not travel well and (b) has thick stone walls and wood beams so it is challenging to
wire the house up with ethernet ...

Nothing a 1 m long 20 mm dia SDS bit and drill won't handle.
BTDTGTTS. Big enough for four CAT5 cables to go through.

... and (c) it is actually cheaper to use the mains networking than
wiring up.

I think you mean "less challenging".

--
Cheers