Posted to rec.woodworking
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default Router Table

On 1/10/2020 4:59 PM, knuttle wrote:
On 1/10/2020 3:54 PM, John McGaw wrote:
On 1/10/2020 3:50 PM, Hawk wrote:
Planning to build a router table to replace my current one, which is too
big. I have a Rockler router top which will be used, so basically, I'm
building a base. I'm avoiding the Rockler stand because I want drawers
and dust collection case around the router. Seeking suggestions on
builds (pictures also, if available) but nothing too complicated. I
don't need a luxury style, just more practical.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Suggestion: make sure that the finished height matches your tablesaw and
workbench height so that the router table can be an outfeed or extension
support if you remove the fence.

I second the height suggestion.Â* I would also put the cabinet on wheels so
you can arrange your workspace to fit the job you are doing.

I have my workbench and table saw on wheels.Â*Â* I can use the workbench as
an out feed for the table saw, as a layout table when working on the saw,
or have the workbench and table saw arranged for minimum movement when I am
cutting many pieces.Â*Â* I can do the same thing with my router table.
However mine is not on a bench and when I am doing intensive router work
have it clamped to the table saw, with the workbench in the most convenient
positions.

Yeah. My router table and miter saw are on roll-arounds (pretty much
mandatory in a small shop like mine) and all are the same height. The miter
saw can be removed by just pulling out two pegs so everything is
interchangeable. In theory my Robland X31 is on wheels or at least it has
their "mobility" accessories but, at something close to a half-ton, it
isn't something I do more than once or twice a year.