Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Oil Furnace Reset Button

On Saturday, January 11, 2020 at 6:36:20 AM UTC-5, wrote:
My oil furnace was running fine and did NOT run out of oil. I did get a new load of oil in to take me through the winter and within 24 hours the furnace needed me to hit the reset button. I did and the blower started and although I did not see the flames I could feel the heat and it ran for maybe 3 minutes and then shut down again.

This is not the first time it has happened. Almost every year I go through this. The technician comes out and I see him bleed the line and clean the oil filter (possibly he replaces it) Then he replaces the control that has the reset button and charges me 300 bucks or so.

I am wondering if possibly I don't need to replace that reset control module or whatever it is called and just need to clean/replace the oil filter screen. I do not understand how getting more oil would cause that to need replaced but I can understand how when they put more ooil in the tank that it might stir up some dirt and clog the filter/screen.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
Joe

Agree with your observations. To replace the control is very unusual.
I've had a fair amount of history with oil furnaces too and I've never
seen the control needing to be replaced. What is most common is the
nozzle, which has a very tiny hole to vaporize the oil, getting clogged.
That is what is typically replaced. I can see the control being replaced
if the furnace won't start or it keeps tripping and all else has been
ruled out. Sounds like it's time for a new oil service guy. Typically
these get serviced once a season, with the nozzle and filter replaced.

Is this oil tank underground, outside above ground, or in the basement?
If it's outside above ground, those are the worst. Subject to constant
temperature change, they get water condensation.