Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default Watch this: video Amazon energy saving

On 2020/01/10 11:25 a.m., wrote:
Last attempt here. Parameters:

a) Full cost of the system to the consumer. That is NO subsidies so that the actual cost is used against the potential payback. Let's assume we are dealing with honest people unwilling to steal from the common Taxpayer.
b) Standard current mortgage rates for a 20-year 0% down loan for the full amount. That would be 4% for a 0-down loan these days.
c) I am using Energy Sage figures from their website for our zip code and energy provider, and the mortgage calculator from Bankrate.com.
d) This is based on our available south facing roof (2 years into a 30-year NDL warranty, and approved as a solar substrate). So, no cost-of-land included.
e) Which leads to Energy Sage stating that our first-cost, un-subsidized, would be $29,000.
f) Which is based on our average power cost of $200 per month for a 5,000 square foot, three-story center-hall colonial built in 1890.

A 20-year loan at 4% would entail a payment of $175 per month for 20 years.
The total cost of the loan, including principle and interest would be $42,269.

The total cost of power for those same 20 years, assuming historical increases of about 1.2% per year would be $54,466. So, the net payback would be: $12,197. At the end of the 20 year process.

Now, let's do an annuity at 2% at $175 per month for 20 years. Go to NerdWallet's compound interest calculator. The net in 20 years would be $51,826.

Effectively, I have given up the opportunity to have $51,826 (in 20 years) in order to save $12,197 (after 20 years). A net difference of -$39,628.

Now, Energy Sage states that our property value will increase by 3%. That would be roughly $15,000. Against the above figures, that really does not help, given that the $15,000 is valid only at the beginning of the process. The system becomes a liability as it approaches end-of-life. So, even that claim is a delusion.

Do the math, if you have the capacity.

Nor have we calculated removal & disposal costs at the end of the system's service-life.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Adding in maintenance costs to the system:
So many electrical connections, some will fail.
Inverters will die - capacitors most likely suspects...
Costs to remove snow and clean periodically.
Extra insurance...

https://www.powerfromsunlight.com/op...-panel-system/

John :-#)#