Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fuses - again

On Thursday, 9 January 2020 13:14:57 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 8 January 2020 23:10:33 UTC, tabby wrote:
On Wednesday, 8 January 2020 15:38:51 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 8 January 2020 14:10:30 UTC, Terry Casey wrote:
In article 0b7058f1-2bb9-401d-999e-ac584814c973
@googlegroups.com, says...

On Tuesday, 7 January 2020 16:13:12 UTC, Terry Casey wrote:

The traditional method is silver paper from a cigarette packet
wrapped round the dead fuse. Perfect fit and lasts forever!

Does that silver paper conduct enough ?

It certainly did in the 60s!

I just measure some from a packet of silk cut.

0.019 ohms between two points 1 inch apart about the lenght of a mains fuse.

I didn't think this sort of silver paper conducted so much,
I'll never have to buy a fuse again.

All measured at about 1 inch spacing
Silver paper from a viscount chocolate bisciut 0.012 R
Aluminium foil at 0.009 R
a 13 amp fuse. at 0.002 R.

(Test Leads shorted together 0.0126 R )

measured using a LCR meter Agilent U1731C

Did you put prongs onto the foil or wrap it round an open fuse in a mains plug then measure? The latter would give lower R

My first test I used our standard meter probes that were suppl.ied woith our default~£30 meters,

when I realised the resistance was 1R I went and got the

Agilent U1731C meter and used the supplied lead with small croc clips
which looks like this

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/lcr-m...ories/7118054/
I put the croc clips to the flat foil(s)

When measuring the fuse I clipped the croc clips around the end of the fuse caps.

NT

If you ever get round to wrapping a dead fuse with the foil paper & fitting it into a plug you'll get lower R readings.

NT