Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jimk Jimk is offline

Default How to fix these in place?

Wrote in message:
On Tuesday, 7 January 2020 09:46:21 UTC, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 06/01/2020 23:22, tabbypurr wrote:

Plan is to fit timber bars under open stair steps to reduce the gaps to meet BR. They'll be positioned in the middle of the space up-down-wise. But I'm not seeing how they can be fixed. The right side is easy, a slim nail through the string into the end of the bar. But the left outer side of the stair is inaccessible, so not clear how one could fix them there. Yes it's easy to do so it looks bad, eg with little L brackets, but how to do it neatly? The problem with using a dowel is that the bar has to slide into place without being angled, so it would not be possible to get a dowel into position. 2 nails at an angle through the bar into the string is an option, but my experience with nailguns is that the bars will end up out of alignment. Ideas welcome!

NT

I'm not sure what size the bars are, but let's say 1" square. Use two
strips of 1" x 1/2" for each one instead, rout out a shallow slot in the
ends so as to form a hole in the end if the two strips were held together.

Use a woodscrew with a steel spacer to form a dowel projecting from the
inside of the stairs - or just a wooden dowel - then clamp and glue or
screw the strips together around this.

Cheers

Clever. The wood has now been cut up ready to fit.

NT

Now who'd do a thing like that...
--
Jimk