Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fuses - again

In article ,
Terry Casey wrote:
Early colour TVs could have a high inrush current enough to blow a 13
amp fuse, even when the quoted power consumption was well below 3kW.
But not the anti-surge type fitted to the TV.

Never had one that bad but one day, a couple of the apprentice
electricians were sent out to deliver a new colour set. They came back
saying it was dead.

On investigation, I found that being mindful of the high cost
of these sets they'd been ultra careful and fitted a 5A fuse -
which, of course, matched the rating of the mains lead.

However, at switch on, colour sets took a mighty gulp of power
to drive the degaussing coils to demagnetise the tube which
considerably exceeded 5A!

The original 13A fuse was refitted and everything worked.

That's pretty well what I was saying. ;-)

Set in question was a G6 Philips - hybrid, using valves on the output
stages. And the high inrush caused even a 13 amp fuse to fail after some
time. New one gave the same sort of life.

--
*On the seventh day He brewed beer *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.