Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Furnace vent cover replacement

On 1/7/2020 11:01 AM, KenK wrote:
trader_4 wrote in
:

On Saturday, January 4, 2020 at 12:54:00 PM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
I have an old mobile home and the propane furnace costs too much to
run. The vent covers stick up a quarter inch or more. I'd like to
replace them with something I won't trip over. (At 85 a fall is very
dangerous!) The only thing I can come up with that I have is aluminum
flashing. It's pretty thin so likely I'll have to use several layers,
thicker than I'd like. Is there anything else I can use? I looked
around Lowe's but nothing caught my eye. I'm sure there are small
flat pieces of sheet steel available that will work but I can't think
of or find anything.

Suggestions?

TIA

I assume these are in the floor? If so, typical flashing, especially
aluminum, is too thin to walk on. HD and similar have sheet metal
in various sizes and thickness. You could see what they have and the
price. A sheet metal fabricator place would have it, could cut it to
size, etc, but I suspect most of them won't do a peanuts deal.
If there is a local welding shop, they might be a possibility.

To install them I'd probably use some construction adhesive and four
screws, weight it down till it cures so it's flat, in contact all
around.

Thinking of putting some foam or other light foamy material into a
sturdy plastic bag and putting it under the flashing. Make it possible
to step on it without putting anything in the duct that can't easily be
removed.

Â* Put a piece of cardboard in the duct boot then about 4" of that spray
foam and cover it with a piece of wax paper then that flashing . Foam
can be cut out if needed with a drywall saw .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old