Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Welding on a fuel tank (jerry can)

On Tue, 07 Jan 2020 02:08:33 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Clare Snyder" wrote in message
On Sat, 4 Jan 2020 19:10:40 -0600, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 1/4/2020 5:49 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sat, 4 Jan 2020 14:50:31 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I have done this many times.first wash out tank with liwuid gunk
degreaser.flush it good with water.but tank on bench.stick
airhose in tank low preasure.leave tank sit 5 minutes.leave
airhose in while welding.no stangent fumes no explosion.a old
mortorcycle mechanic taught me that 50 years ago
filling it with co2 from a fire extinguisher works pretty good.
Argon or CO2 either one , if you happen to have welding shield
gasses on
hand . Big plus is that it leaves the extinguisher usable for it's
intended purpose .
Disn't have sheilding gas - so I just sent the apprentice out to the
safety supply to borrow a 5 pounder

Would engine exhaust work?

Yes it will

Assuming the engine is running efficiently and not sewing large
amounts of CO and unburned hydrocarbons, yes.

I would be cautious about making that assumption using exhaust from
something other than a properly functioning emmission controlled
vehicle - don't, for instance, use your lawn mower or an old gasoline
tractor - - -

From OSHA

What are fire hazards and extinguishing media for carbon monoxide?

Flammable Properties: EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE GAS. Can easily ignite. Can
readily form explosive mixture with air at room temperature.

Suitable Extinguishing Media: Carbon dioxide, dry chemical powder,
appropriate foam, water spray or fog. Foam manufacturers should be
consulted for recommendations regarding types of foams and application
rates.

Specific Hazards Arising from the Chemical: Gas or vapour may
accumulate in hazardous amounts in low-lying areas especially inside
confined spaces, resulting in a health hazard. Heat from fire can
cause a rapid build-up of pressure inside cylinders. Explosive rupture
and a sudden release of large amounts of gas may result. Cylinder may
rocket. In a fire, the following hazardous materials may be generated:
Very toxic carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide.

?
What are the stability and reactivity hazards of carbon monoxide?

•Chemical Stability: Normally stable.
•Conditions to Avoid: Open flames, sparks, static discharge, heat and
other ignition sources.
•Incompatible Materials: Increased risk of fire and explosion on
contact with: oxidizing agents (e.g. peroxides), halogens (e.g.
chlorine), metals (e.g. aluminum). Not corrosive to: aluminum alloys,
stainless steel.
•Hazardous Decomposition Products: None known.
•Possibility of Hazardous Reactions: None known.