Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scott[_17_] Scott[_17_] is offline

Default Fuses - again

On Tue, 7 Jan 2020 15:11:49 -0000, Terry Casey
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Early colour TVs could have a high inrush current enough to blow a 13 amp
fuse, even when the quoted power consumption was well below 3kW. But not
the anti-surge type fitted to the TV.

Never had one that bad but one day, a couple of the apprentice
electricians were sent out to deliver a new colour set. They
came back saying it was dead.

On investigation, I found that being mindful of the high cost
of these sets they'd been ultra careful and fitted a 5A fuse -
which, of course, matched the rating of the mains lead.

However, at switch on, colour sets took a mighty gulp of power
to drive the degaussing coils to demagnetise the tube which
considerably exceeded 5A!

The original 13A fuse was refitted and everything worked.

I had similar in my latest adventures. I fitted a 1A fuse (by
mistake) to a kitchen TV and it lasted a fraction of a second. I
upped it to 3A and it's fine (even though the plug states 5A).