Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fuses - again

On Monday, 6 January 2020 23:32:37 UTC, wrote:
On Monday, 6 January 2020 14:17:30 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 6 January 2020 12:57:13 UTC, wrote:
On Monday, 6 January 2020 11:26:10 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:

The statement was what appliances NEED a fuse and not whether they have one or not, there is a differnce there too.

If an appliance uses an "inherently short-circuit proof" mains transformer
for its power supply, it does not need any kind of fuse - not even an
over-temperature fuse inside the transformer.

That's what I assumed as not everything needs a fuse, light bulbs tend not
to have fuses. Then you have the difficulty of deciding what an appliance is.
Which for most mean something in a specific range of products.
The vast majority of which will end up being plugged into the mains and that
item will have a 3 pin plug on the end.

Filament lightbulbs have ballotini fuses
http://www.lamptech.co.uk/Documents/IN%20Fusing.htm

NT

Bulbs are rarely refered to as appliances,
But as indicated the claim that 200 amps can flow
doesn't really mean much, as my fuse in my CU lighting circuit is 5 amp.
So what if 200 amps flows for 1 microsecond.
if 200 amps can flow though my lighting circuit then 200 amps can also
through through a IEC lead with a 13 amp fuse in it.

But that still misses the most important point, what is the point of the fuse ?
Is it to save the bulb (perhasp referred to as the appliance) or the household wiring ?

It's to protect the wiring just like the fuse in an IEC lead.
SO it's doing the same job as a fuse in a 3 pin plug.
It's just been moved that's all.