Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lino over carpet?

On Sunday, 5 January 2020 20:59:07 UTC, Andrew wrote:
On 04/01/2020 12:37, R D S wrote:

I know this is a crap idea on paper but I am feeling supremely lazy and
i'm cash and time poor ATM, but want to crack on.

Has anyone laid lino over carpet? What was the outcome?

Only if you skim it first :-)

the carpet fibres would reinforce it. You could probably make the floor itself outta that if thick enough.

It's for upstairs at work, there's nobody trotting about in high heels,
just two blokes in trainers. If I rip the carpet up the floorboards will
probably be such that i'd need to put something over them to remove all
the lumps and bumps.

3mm sheet is the usual thing when carpeting. For vinyl though I'd jump up a size to 4 or 5.5mm, vinyl is not tolerant of even small edge height differences.

NT