Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Welding on a fuel tank (jerry can)

"Clare Snyder" wrote in message
On Sat, 4 Jan 2020 19:10:40 -0600, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 1/4/2020 5:49 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sat, 4 Jan 2020 14:50:31 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I have done this many times.first wash out tank with liwuid gunk
degreaser.flush it good with water.but tank on bench.stick
airhose in tank low preasure.leave tank sit 5 minutes.leave
airhose in while welding.no stangent fumes no explosion.a old
mortorcycle mechanic taught me that 50 years ago
filling it with co2 from a fire extinguisher works pretty good.

Argon or CO2 either one , if you happen to have welding shield
gasses on
hand . Big plus is that it leaves the extinguisher usable for it's
intended purpose .

Disn't have sheilding gas - so I just sent the apprentice out to the
safety supply to borrow a 5 pounder

Would engine exhaust work?